Monday, September 14, 2009

Is “Little Black Sambo” a Bad Story?


This season at Toastmasters, I’m planning to do a series of speeches involving storytelling. For my first speech I am choosing to tell one of my favourite tales, Little Black Sambo. I enjoy the way the story reads and love the ending.The story has a hero, speaks strongly about family, provides drama and stretches the imagination. I find Little Black Sambo delightful.

Well my daughter Allison tells me I should not do this story. She informs me that Little Black Sambo is politically incorrect.

“Why?” I asked.

“You shouldn’t identify people by skin colour.”

I find that totally baffling.

As far as I’m concerned this ‘seriously white’ mama is going to tell a made-up story about a brave little chocolate-coloured boy from India (nevermind that the picture makes him look like he is from Africa).

What do you think?

No comments: