Monday, January 18, 2010

We Pray Because Jesus Answers Prayer

Last week our church had a week of prayer. We were encouraged to spend time during the week fasting and praying. There were opportunities every evening and most mornings to join with others in prayer.

I asked the Lord what or how I should fast. That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was standing with others in front of a table full of chocolates and other sweets. Everyone was eating, but the dream didn’t allow me to even touch the food. When I woke up I took this as my answer.

During the prayer week I went to a prayer time for youth and outreach, one for leaders and one for women. Each prayer time was quite different.

At the first meeting we listened individually for the Lord’s direction and then shared.

At the meeting for leaders, leaders spoke about their greatest challenge and the most rewarding bit of their ministry. Then we formed a sort of fire tunnel, two parallel lines of people which we took turns moving down between as those in the lines prayed and spoke into our lives.

At the women’s prayer meeting we prayed for the people in Haiti. Then we danced a dance expressing service to others and then arranged ourselves on the carpet in the pattern of a giant wheel under a waving banner representing the Fire of God. What felt like electric shock waves kept passing through my body.

Saturday morning a few of us prayed believing the Lord for miracles, signs and wonders. Jesus said heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons (Matthew 10:7&8). We can do all things through Him who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). His word is true. He never lies. Therefore we are able to do what he says: heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers and cast out demons. His kingdom is here.

Sunday our service evolved into a prayer time for Haiti. There was no sermon. We prayed for the comfort, healing, food, water, rebuilding and we prayed that the curse over Haiti would be broken, that people would know Jesus as their help.

I believe every prayer spoken was heard and is being answered by God (John 14:13).

No comments: