Thursday, January 14, 2010

What Can Happen with the Institutionalization of Birthday Wishes – Part 3

A Most Embarrassing Birthday Wish
I still blush when I think of it. More than a few years back, when we first moved to Owen Sound, I volunteered to produce the church bulletin for our new-found church. As part of my duties I was given a list of seniors’ birthday dates and told to wish them Happy Birthday on the appropriate week.

In the course of duty, I wished Mrs. Van DeDew (not her real name) a very Happy Birthday and many more to come. I liked to express warm personal wishes, possibly endearing myself to the people I hadn’t met yet.

Well, that Sunday, I found out that Mrs.Van DeDew’s body was probably rolling over in her grave with the exuberance of my well-wishes. And, her nearest and dearest grieving relatives attending church that morning were not amused.

No comments: