Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Going the Wrong Way on a One Way Street

We didn't bother asking anyone for directions: we had two whole hours between games at Lizzy’s basketball tournament and we had a GPS (global positioning system). That's how Lizzy and I found ourselves driving around St. Catharines looking for a Tim Horton’s at noon last Saturday.

Our GPS didn’t know Geneva Street was off limits due to construction. Our GPS kept telling us to turn left to head back to said street. We stopped listening and ended up navigating slushy snow-covered residential streets. At one point I drove past a sign which declared no exit. I was all set to turn the van around, but then I noticed a narrow, freshly plowed alley—snow piled high on one side and freeway fence on the other.

Without hesitation I entered the alley. We rounded a corner. Ahead I could see a do-not-enter symbol on a sign just past an adjoining street. I saw a police cruiser coming at me from beyond the do-not-enter sign. At that point it occurred to me that I was possibly traveling the wrong way down a one-way street. I signaled left onto the adjoining street. Maybe the police wouldn’t notice. Rather unlikely.

(continued)

No comments: