Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (29)

(a novel continued)


“So, you’ve met God,” Samuel said.
“Did He tell you?”
“I recognize the clothes.”
“Oh, of course.” Minnie looked down at her shimmering linen gown. “I love these clothes...why would anyone ever take them off?”
“You’ll see.” He winked at her. Samuel was wearing a soft burlap tunic. “Now, let’s get on with the lesson.”
They spent the next hour talking about spiritual perception and intimacy with Jesus. Minnie learned that Jesus truly was with her every moment and had been there all those times on earth when she felt alone. She could have been talking with him.
“I wish I had known,” Minnie said.
“What did you think Jesus meant when He said, ‘And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age?’”
“I thought he was with me, but in a removed sort of way. He was there, but he couldn't just say things. I had the Bible with me. I had the creation around me. I could see Him in creation. I could hear Him in His Word. I always thought that was it.”
“The good thing is He loves you just as much regardless. His heart is and always has been overflowing with love for you. On the other hand, you could have been much more in love with him.”
“I felt that when I first met him here. If I had it to do over again....”
“As your mother would say, 'No use crying over spilled milk'.
 “Samuel, how do you know what my mother says?
“She was my student. 
“And you remember everything about every student?
You will find that our brains in heaven are somewhat more efficient than on earth.

When Minnie got back to the cottage later that evening, she reverently hung her linen gown in the closet and dressed herself in a soft silk pajamas. As soon as her head touched the pillow, she was asleep. She dreamed a vivid dream. 
The dream seemed real. She was back on earth. Her body was like it had been before the accident. Yet she looked and felt different. She felt more alive than she ever had. She glowed with life. John couldn’t take his eyes away from her. He watched her with pure love as she moved, as she talked.
In the dream Minnie was standing in her kitchen at the sink, doing her dishes. In her mind she could hear Jesus say He loved her. She felt His love in her heart. She told John how much she loved Jesus and that Jesus was in the room just as real as she was, as real as John.
John said simply, “I know, I see him. He is my only comfort in life and death.”

No comments: