Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (73)

(a novel continued)
Treasa looked at Bill with big startled eyes,  “Is there something I don’t know?”
 “We want to get married.”
A collective sigh of relief went up from the room.
“Always the joker,” Mary said.
Bill laughed.
“Congratulations.” Minnie said. 
“Yes, congratulations,” the others echoed.
“Where’s the ring?” George asked.
“He just asked me at the hotel last night. We plan to look for a ring tomorrow. There should be some good boxing day sales.”
“Welcome to our family.” John shook Treasa’s hand. “I don’t know you very well, but it looks to me like Bill has chosen well.”
“This calls for refreshments,” Mary headed to the kitchen. 
There's eggnog and strawberry-rhubarb juice, Minnie called after her. 
They talked and laughed the evening away. Bill and Treasa promised to return the following afternoon to show off the ring. 

Mary was the only one to stay the night. 
I’m leaving my church, she said the next morning as she stared into her oatmeal.
Leaving your church?” Minnie wasn't sure she had heard right.
“When did you decide this?” John asked.
I know you think it’s a cult so this probably makes you happy.”
“So....what made you decide?” Minnie asked.
“I've been thinking about it for a while.”
 And now?.... John let the question dangle.
“I’d like to stay here for a few days while I decide.”
“That’s fine with us,” Minnie said. She tried to subdue the absolute joy she felt. “How about some coffee?” Minnie was off to the kitchen to prepare the coffee before either John or Mary could answer.
“I guess, we’re having coffee,” said John.
‘Thank you Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you,’ Minnie said as she danced around the kitchen trying to remember what she was doing. 

No comments: