Thursday, May 9, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (74)

(a novel continued)


Twenty minutes later they were sipping coffee by the gently flaming fireplace.
“What makes you want to leave your church?” John asked.
“I really don’t want to talk about it,” Mary said.
“That’s okay,” Minnie said, “You can stay here as long as you need to, can’t she John?”
John nodded.
“Thank you, Mom and Dad. I appreciate that. And...I kind of need help getting my stuff.”
“That should be no problem,” John said.
“Or, they'll probably just throw it out,” Mary said.
“We can do it tomorrow.” 

Mary didn’t do or say much the rest of the day. She went for a walk, and mostly stayed in her room, but she did come out to inspect the ring when Bill and Treasa dropped by. 
Treasa held up her hand so everyone could see the exquisite little ring. “Bill wanted to buy me a ridiculously big one, but I wouldn’t let him.” 

“When are you heading out, Mary?” Bill asked.
“I’m not.”
“We could get your stuff right, now,” Bill said to Mary when he heard about the planned move. 
Mary nodded consent and John went to the nursery to get a truck. 
Minnie stayed home to prepare supper while the others squeezed into the cab of the pick-up and headed toward the compound just outside town. 

No comments: