Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (114)

(a novel continued)


“That was such good wine...” Shirley said. “Too bad it’s all gone. Would you like a coffee?”
Minnie sat down at the table as Shirley poured her a cup. “Bea and I were wondering if you could give us a few Jesus lessons. We’ve got Bibles.” 
They showed her a couple of little red Gideon New Testaments.
“Start by reading the first four books, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are all about when Jesus walked the earth. Just pray that the Holy Spirit will show you the meaning.”
It turned out they had already read all of Matthew, Mark Luke, John and Acts and were impressed by Jesus’ first miracle. “He did that same miracle for us. We feel so special.” Shirley said.
“And we decided we want to do what Jesus says to do right here.” Bea turned to the end of the book of Matthew. “It says, Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
“I think we have to be baptised first,” Shirley said.
“That’s important,” Minnie agreed. She remembered her baptism in heaven, which  seemed so long ago.
“I got baptised as a baby in the Catholic church. Does that count?” Bea said.
“It must count for something,” Minnie said. “Actually there is a bunch of theology separating different churches when it comes to baptism. Some say babies have to be baptised by their parents. That’s what my church practices. Other churches say that when you become a believer, that’s when you get baptised  It has to be your own decision. Then The Holy Spirit comes on you and then you go out preaching and teaching in power.”
“That makes sense,” Shirley said. “We want to get baptised, don’t we, Bea?”
“I’ll talk to my pastor about it.” Minnie said.
“I thought you said that your church baptised babies. We’re a little too wrinkled for that category,” Bea said.
“Our church also does adult baptism for those who haven’t been baptised as babies,” Minnie offered.
“But I was baptised as a baby. Maybe they won’t baptise me again...” said Bea.
“We want that power of the Holy Spirit to fall on us.” Shirley added.
“Why don’t you just baptise us right now?” Bea asked.
‘Lord help me.’ Minnie prayed.
‘Do it.’ she heard.

“Okay,” said Minnie. 

No comments: