Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Controller - Installment #10 in which Mork gets called up

 “I pray when I am having trouble deciding about stuff,” Jenny says matter-of-factly as she sticks a baby tomato on her fork.
“I did that. But, I still have to decide.”

Pray, shmay, hello, It’s two-way.

Jenny tries a different track, “How many ingredients do you have in this salad?”
“About seven. Maybe six.” Allen knows he is not going to mention Shirley. I think I’m in a rut. I live in this big old family house, by myself—now that my sister has moved out. I go to work every day, the same work, year after year….”
“And?”
“Now I have a chance to change things up a little. I think I’m stalling. Maybe I don’t like change.”
They each take another bite of salad. “You still haven’t really told me anything about what you are looking at,” Jenny says.
“For one, the house. Melanie wants her money out of the house. She has every right to that. On the other hand, I’m her big brother and I’m not too sure she would be all that wise with her money especially looking at the church she is attending. I don’t trust that place.”
“A church? You don’t trust a church?”
“Maybe I’m off, but they seem to be a lot about giving money and as far as I can see they don’t have any causes except themselves.”
“Have you been there?”
“Once.”
“I see.”
“So, do I buy her out, sell the house, fix up the house or what? Do I buy a condo? Should I be looking for someone to share my life with? I always thought I would have a wife and kids. I’m 37 now and the clock is ticking.”
“Sounds like mid-life crisis.”

These people, they have a label for everything. When they don’t live to their full potential, of course they get bored.

“I could invest in Nick’s gold mine and use the money to start my own business.”
“Your own business?”
“Just a thought.”
The main course comes. They eat in silence. “I like this. Thanks so much,” Jenny says. “I haven’t been out much lately, since I broke up with my boyfriend.”
“I didn’t realize….”
“Let’s just say he was a jerk.  I found out he was cheating on me—a lot.”
“I’m sorry. You never said anything.”
“I didn’t want to bother you with my personal stuff.”
As they walk to their cars back at the office, Allen thanks Jenny for listening.
“Sorry, I wasn’t able to help more.”
“It was just good to get it out.”

Man, your life could be so much more exciting. Please God give me a better assignment next time.

Mork, report to the throne room.

No comments: